Announcing a new library

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Jan 1 10:43:00 PST 2007

Daniel919 wrote:
> Hi, this sounds great :)
>
> I would like tango to get all the things, D programmers frequently need,
 > instead of having x implementations in different libs of the same
 > function.
>
> Code would be much more understandable then, when people use the same base.

I agree.  Though at the same time, I think it's important that the door
be left open for third-party extensions that are well-integrated with
Tango proper.  This is where package management tools like DSSS will
come in very handy in the days to come.  Over time, if there are
additional packages that everyone uses they we may ask if they can be
distributed with Tango, but I don't think it's strictly necessary so
long as obtaining and using third-party code is sufficiently easy.

> There should be a review commitee that decides whether an external lib will
 > be integrated, in respect to code quality and implementation (one
 > should then of course not use a lib that does the same function like a
> lib  that is already in tango) ;)

At the moment, that's simply the Tango development team.

> Ares (dsource.org) also aimed to replace phobos ("second coming of
 > phobos"), but not much has happened.

All of my free time for the past N months has been devoted to Tango, so
everything I'd planned for Ares has been done there instead.  I'm
personally quite happy with how Tango has turned out at a low-level.
It's a pretty big change from Ares but for the basic segmentation of
code into a compiler runtime, garbage collector, and common code.  And
for what it's worth, I think that kernel development and similar
projects will actually be easier with Tango than they were with
Ares--I've been pretty careful to avoid heaping too many requirements on
what is required to run a minimal D application against Tango.

Sean