Announcing a new library

Mon Jan 1 13:09:46 PST 2007

I'm curious :) :

When did this project start?

Was it deliberately kept secret? (I never heard of it before today, and
I can't find any mention of it on the DSource forums)
If so, why? Was it meant as a "D 1.0 release" present to Walter and/or
the D community?

> A selection of contributors include:
[snip]

Were all of those people "in on it"? Or does that list include people
who wrote code that has been incorporated into Tango, but who were not
necessarily aware of its existence? (before the announcement, obviously)

 > * A networking model that is growing to encompass some of the most
 > common IO designs and network protocols.

Which network protocols?
TCP/IP and UDP?
HTTP and FTP? SSH? Others?

I didn't see compression mentioned in the feature list. Phobos has
ext.c.zlib IIRC, does Tango have something similar? (not necessarily
zip, but some well-known compression format would be nice)
If it doesn't, are there any plans to add it?

How different is it from a mere combination of what can be found on
DSource (and other D sites)?

Final questions:
Where will it be hosted? DSource I presume?
Is there a preview available? Or documentation?

All in all this looks pretty interesting, from the information currently
available.