Ruby declared Tiobe language of 2006

janderson askme at me.com
Sun Jan 7 23:23:56 PST 2007

sclytrack wrote:
> TIOBE Programming Community Index for January 2007
> Ruby is now in the top 10. D is at position 14 and still climbing.
>

> Now let us make D the language of 2007.

If you take Tiobe as the amount of people who use the language (of
course it doesn't but let use assume so), D would need grow 7x larger to
move 11 places up the chain (assuming that of course other factors
remain constant).  Also D would need to double its population size to
just to overtake Ruby.

I think Tiobe may be a good tool for forming a battle/marketing plan for
D.

For instance, Python shares many similarities to D, most importantly its
funding is limited and it was developed by one guy.  Perhaps some covert
surveys could be done in these programming languages forums to try to
figure out why people jumped on the band wagon.  My questions in working
are:

How long have you been using language X?
Why did you originally start using X?
What features do you like about X?
How do you think X could be improved?

Another thing Tiobe points out is that Java seems to have the biggest
slice of the pie.  Meaning that you don't need to shake as many apples
from that tree to increase size of D's apple pie.

Of course you need to demonstrate D as a better alternative to Java.
Maybe that means finding the most annoying Java traits and demonstrating
how D is better or improving D along those lines.

I would like to know what other data could be mined from Tiobe
(http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm).

-Joel