Ruby declared Tiobe language of 2006

janderson askme at me.com
Mon Jan 8 00:33:12 PST 2007

Ant wrote:
> janderson wrote:
>> sclytrack wrote:
>>> TIOBE Programming Community Index for January 2007
>>> Ruby is now in the top 10. D is at position 14 and still climbing.
>>>

>>> Now let us make D the language of 2007.
>>
>> I think Tiobe may be a good tool for forming a battle/marketing plan
>> for D.
>>

> Allow me to submit a different idea.
>
> Tiobe ranking for D is crap:
> there is no way D should be before lisp, ada, cobol, pascal, hell, even
> rpg on "skilled engineers, courses and third party vendors.", no way!

I agree that Tiobe ranking is not accurate (and have never said
otherwise), however it appears to a least present a picture of D's
presents or hype on the web which is the best marketing tool D has.
Also the languages that you would expect are at the top.

I think a language like ADA for instance has less presents on the web
because they are used in military and NASA type places.  How many
Military programmers do you know who post stuff up on the web?

<snip>