dallegro 2.0 beta 4 released

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Wed Mar 14 14:43:25 PDT 2007

torhu wrote:

> I'll just reply to the easy parts of your post now, and try to reply to
> the rest later.

Np, and announce NG probably isn't best place for discussions anyway :-)
Replying by email is perfectly alright for the implementation details.

>> (You might want to do a "version(darwin) version=MacOSX;" and
>> you might want to use the allegro-config output by default ?)
>
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DocComments/Version#ExtraPredefinedVersions
>
> According to that link, GDC defines MacOSX.  But if that's not that
> case, I'll just use 'darwin' instead.

That page is more of a "wishlist", the only two predefined versions on
Mac OS X using GDC are: darwin and Unix (compare with: linux and Unix)

MacOSX is a superset of Darwin, i.e. all MacOSX would also be Darwin -
but in theory not all Darwin need to be MacOSX - they *could* use X11...
(In practice, you could just add a line like the one above to the top.)
See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%28operating_system%29

>> As a closing remark, you might want to offer an allegro.allegro
>> module (just a new name), in addition to the allegro.all module ?
>
> I'm planning to rename allegro.all to allegro.allegro.  Calling it
> allegro.all was a mistake I made early on, and then it really did import
> everything.  Another option would be to put allegro.d directly in the
> dmd/import/ folder, but then at least two other files should probably go
> there too.  And maybe more later.  So it might be too messy to do that.
>  Even if 'import allegro;' sure looks nicer than 'import allegro.allegro;'.

D doesn't allow you to have a module and a folder with the same name.
i.e. if you have an allegro.d, you can't have an allegro/ directory...
Besides, the repeated name is something of a common D standard anyway ?
(I'm currently using windows.windows, unix.unix, sdl.sdl, gl.gl, wx.wx)

--anders