Deadlock presentation outcome

Tom S h3r3tic at remove.mat.uni.torun.pl
Sat May 12 10:16:02 PDT 2007

david wrote:
> So tell us, how did the presentation go? :-)
>
> david

The presentation went really well :) IMHO, we crushed all the other
teams in almost all aspects of the project. After the presentation, we
received congrats from many folks from the univ, had numerous new
beta-tester applications and lots of applause ;) Our project supervisor,
Piotr Rosiak also received congrats from other supervisors, or so I heard.

In the end, it turned out that the jury didn't like computer games very
much... Maths doctors & professors == bad jury for a game programming
team. So we scored 2nd, after a project which basically combined some
GPS stuff thru bluetooth and Google Maps... Which, according to 80% of
my univ mates was... ridiculous.

I don't want to sound like bragging, but I can sincerely say that we
created the best project, with lots of cutting edge programming, fine
team management, lots of coffee, 70k LoC, 1100 svn revisions and
eventually a really cool game. We only had about 20 minutes to present
it though. Virtually no one from the jury even peeked at the code or
understood what a 'shader' is or what Ageia PhysX does.

One of the best things about the presentation was that we bashed C++ and
Java and got no strike-back from the C++ and Java zealots present in the
audience, including the lecturers. We answered all questions we were
given and certainly got some folks interested in the D language :)

Currently we're going to catch up on some other univ classes and once
done with them, continue working on Deadlock, possibly in an expanded
team, as the course no longer limits us to 5 students.

--
Tomasz Stachowiak
http://h3.team0xf.com/