Deadlock presentation outcome

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sat May 12 12:31:55 PDT 2007

Peter Modzelewski wrote:
> Tom S napisa?(a):
>  > david wrote:
>  >> So tell us, how did the presentation go? :-)
>  >>
>  >> david
>  >
>  > The presentation went really well :)
>
> As I said many times before, our project, according to our univ
> environment, was *very* politically incorrect. We've decided to avoid
> all the standards to create a really good game and have lots of fun
> while creating it. This is a reward itself. As for the results, in a uni
> where a game about killing and drugs was greatly controversial, and jury
> seen no difference between writing a 3d engine from scratch and using
> Google Maps for presentation, I think the 2nd place is also a great
> success. We managed to create a project against nearly everyone and
> still be in the top 3.
> Still, I'm a bit disappointed about the results, because when we
> received the applause and congrats from people, a shade of hope appeared
> that the jury would not be blind to such a reaction. Unfortunately - I
> was wrong. Anyway - The rewards for me are the new beta testers and
> opinions from people who really know something about coding. I hope
> other univs are more professionally directed. Here in Torun "politically
> right" is the most important thing.
>
> Anyway, thx for your interest
> KeYeR

Sounds like you guys did a fantastic job.  At my grad school there was a
game programming course one year, and the final projects were presented
and judged.  There was one team that pretty much kicked everybody's
butts there, and everybody oohed and awed about it.  But that didn't
even look as nice as yours.  Three of the guys that were on that team
now work at game companies, one works at a game /engine/ company, and
the other works at NVIDIA.  So if gainful employ is your goal, I think
your project will reward you far greater than any piddly 1st place prize
from your Uni.

Congrats.

--bb