Deadlock presentation outcome

Tom S h3r3tic at remove.mat.uni.torun.pl
Mon May 14 16:23:46 PDT 2007

bobef wrote:
 > Would you, guys, consider to release the source code? I am actually
interested in DDL. I see on the web site that you use DDL, which I need
too, but I've never managed to make even a "hello world" work correctly...

Bad  news: We've decided not to release the code to the wide public.
Good news: Some programmers get access to the code, especially if they
are D programmers that can help us / we can help them in some specific
way / are simply nice fellows ;) I guess we could pin you to some of
these categories since you need DDL and we need an in-game multimedia
player ;) E-mail me with a login and password and we'll get you SVN
access. You can find my mail e.g. on my site: http://h3.team0xf.com/

Clay Smith wrote:
 > That's really too bad, I still think politically incorrectness should be
 > a bonus ;) because of your courage over 'correct groupthink'

Haha, reminds me of 'You gotta fight!! For your right!! To paa-arty!' ;)

Pragma wrote:
 > Congrats!  I know you worked your ass off on this one.  Kudos.

Thanks! Yea, that was half a year of really hard work. But hopefully
gamedev is also fun, so I'd put another half a year into it without a
frown :D Too bad there will be exams, tests and various nonsencial stuff
at the univ shortly... On the other hand, there will also be Summer
holidays.

davidb wrote:
 > Congratulations from me too, apart from all the other things
 > for a project this large the organization and getting all components
 > to work together had to be quite a piece of work, thumbs up!

Thank you :) And indeed, connecting all the stuff together was the
biggest riddle. I've learned a lot about design and team management
thanks to Deadlock. It's larger than any other project any of us had
worked before and it hasn't turned into an unmaintainable mess, which I
think is a feat on its own ;)

Mess or not mess, we'll be doing some refactoring soon. Once the basics
are in place, we'd like to concentrate on game logic. And to do so, we'd
like to take a dynamic approach. Read: scripting. We'll be separating
the engine from the game, cleaning stuff up and adding any missing
functionality. Then we're going to add bindings to one or more scripting
languages. Lua, Io and Squirrel seem to be OK. Yet another option is
dynamic DDL re-compilation and linking. I guess we'll turn to it when
the scripts need to be *really* fast.

<general NG query> If you know of any other scripting approaches /
languages that would do a better or comparable job to what I briefly
described, let us know! Note: I've looked at all the scripting languages
listed at wikipedia and gamedev.net's 'Scripting and Mods' forum FAQ
</general>

I'm also working on improving my GUI so I can start writing some editors
for the game/engine. A visual 'graph-node-based' shader editor will
probably come first.

Thanks for your interest in Deadlock!

--
Tomasz Stachowiak