Deadlock presentation outcome

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon May 14 18:14:44 PDT 2007

Tom S wrote:
> Frits van Bommel wrote:
>> Tom S wrote:

>>> Dang! No :o  *runs quickly to dsource*  Thanks for the reminder :D
>>
>> You also didn't mention Python. (+ Pyd wrapper from
>> http://dsource.org/projects/pyd)
>
> It was listed at wikipedia *g*
>
> It's heavier than Lua and I don't know if it would offer anything more
> than Squirrel... It would surely introduce a different syntax, e.g. many
> people don't like the whitespace code grouping.
>
> As for Pyd, I'm not sure how much we'd (ab)use it. If we make some
> bindings, they'll probably be done in such a way as to be able to use
> multiple scripting languages or mix them. So either our wrapper will use
> PyD, or we'll just go with the low level C API, *if* we decide to use
> Python.
>
> If it turns out that a general binding for many scripting languages
> boils down to just a handful of templates, Python might be an option too :D

The heaviest thing about about Python is the libraries, and if you don't
need 'em you don't have to ship 'em.  The core python24.dll is 1.78MB.
That's not tiny but still it's a trivial size for a PC game.  The people
who favor Lua are the console developers, where memory and space is
actually a little tight.  But for PC development there's nothing wrong
with Python's size.

If you don't like the syntax, well that's another issue.  I go back and
forth between D and Python (and C++) a lot and don't find it to be too
much of a problem.  I do tend to forget to type semi-colons for a while
when I switch back to D, though.

--bb