D Installler

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 18:32:02 PDT 2007

Lester Martin wrote:
> Lester Martin Wrote:
> Dear Mr. Miller,
> I have gotten DFL to finally work with tango. After I have everything working in C# i'll rewrite it with tango and dfl.
>
> Does anyone know of a good zip compression library for D or is this integrated into tango in an easy to use way like example below.
> FastZip fz = new FastZip(file);
> fz.unzipTo(ftuzt);
> fz.setNewZip(file2);
> fz.compressDirToCurZip(dir);
>
> Those method names may very as long as such functionality is provided.

I've got the beginnings of a Zip archive implementation for Tango lying
around, but it's been held up by various things.  There's little doubt
that Tango will have Zip support fairly soon (and by "fairly soon" I
mean by around the end of the year.)

<rant>

Incidentally, Zip is a complete bastard of a format to support.  The
format document is horribly written, disjointed, confusing, incomplete
and the format itself hasn't so much evolved as *congealed* over time.

For instance: there's something like four different places the list of
files in an archive can appear, and just to make things fun, the format
spec doesn't say *anything* about which one to trust.

Of course, tar isn't much better; that one has *multiple* incompatible
standards; half of the time, there's no reliable way to tell them apart,
either.

I haven't had the heart to even try looking at 7z yet...

</rant>

	-- Daniel