Tango 0.99.6 Jeff released

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu May 1 02:02:13 PDT 2008

Gregor Richards wrote:

> If you install it and then don't use a build tool, gdc/gdmd won't know
> where to find the includes. In short, everyone should use a build tool.
> Always. Always and forever. [...]

Or add a -I parameter to DFLAGS, whichever one finds easiest ?

For the Mac universal binaries I just installed Tango imports
in the compiler folder and the Tango runtime as "libgphobos.a"
Then it's only a matter of setting the required variants and
including the user library "libgtango.a", even without build.

http://dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/MacOSXInstall#UsingTango

Using a build tool helps with other things like including all
object files and such, but it isn't strictly *required* either.
I included both a GNU Makefile and a dsss.conf too, so the user
can choose whichever system that they are most comfortable with.

> And the includes, by the way, are in .../include/d .If you're
> absolutely insane, you can include them with -I.../include/d .

When installing in an alternative location outside the search
dirs, then adding the -I and -L parameters is pretty standard...
This is the same as in C / C++, so the only question is whether
that behaviour is the "good old" or if it is just "legacy" ;-)

I do believe that Tango should install in the regular directories,
so that one doesn't need any extra -I or -L for it, but that's me.

--anders