Monster 0.8 + Tutorial

janderson askme at me.com
Fri May 9 08:19:46 PDT 2008

Nicolay Korslund wrote:
> I have written the very first tutorial for Monster, the D-based game scripting language:
>
> http://monster.snaptoad.com/tutorials/tutorial1_basics.html
>
> It only covers the very basics (how to run scripts, what functions and variables look like, etc.) The syntax is pretty similar to D, so this tutorial shouldn't be too hard to follow for D developers. I'm writing partially with future users in mind though, including game modders and such, so I'm trying to keep it simple.
>
> I also released version 0.8 a little while ago, you can find it here:
>
> http://monster.snaptoad.com/download.html
>
> Monster is a very young language, and even some essential features like garbage collection are still under development. However, it it is mature enough to play around with, and I'm working actively on the missing features.
>
> I've had some great suggestions already as to where to take the project next, but if you are interested in game development and have some ideas for the language, I'm always open for more suggestions.
>
> - Nico

Hi,

Nice work.

So one thing I don't understand.  How would I bind a script into DMD or
C++.  Also would this work with Visual C++?

It would be nice if the D binding API supported features like automatic
reloading (optional of course).  Knowing how to debug it in a debugger
would also be useful (if possible).  Built in profiling would be another
nice feature.

Does it use DMD as the underlining compiler?  How efficient is it?

If I could use it with Visual C++, I would push for it on my next
project which is some time off.  It seems to be much better then lua
simply because its typesafe.

-Joel