Tango heap is dangerous

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 20:09:32 PDT 2008

Hello tim,

> I usually complain about news groups. I think they are so obsolete
> with  web message boards aka forums. I was really annoyied to find
> that  http://dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=1 was closed down and
> replaced  with a newsgroup here. It's a major step BACKWARDS into the
> past. If all  this was on a forum we would not have to worry about
> identity stealing.

I hear you.  The dwt project is really a special case.  It moved back to
the newsgroup because that is where most of the D community discussion resides,
and dwt was considered an important asset to the language; furthermore the
newsgroup had been created a couple years prior for specific dwt GUI discussions.
 Keeping it's existance outside the newsgroup would have pulled it away from
the central hub of D language activity and compromised publicity.  Having
both active would have doubled the managment and support for DWT.  But otherwise,
I agree that a forum system is much easier to moderate and manage.

There's been a few people who have argued, like you, that newsgroups are
passe; yet there appears to be at least an equal number that believe the
"outdated" news system are still superior to the forum systems we have today.

As for identity stealing being possible in a newsgroup, I suppose that doesn't
necessarily have to be so.  I assume a PGP key of some sort would solve that
problem.  Some here have resorted to that.  Other's don't bother or care
to reveal there identity.

-JJR