[OT] Re: Tango heap is dangerous

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Wed Oct 15 14:57:00 PDT 2008

Reply to Robert,

> BCS wrote:
>
>> FWIW: I *never* use forums if I have /any/ other choice. And that
>> includes just dropping using whatever the forums is about.
>>
>> If D only had a forum, in all likely hood, I would not use D.
>>
> Pardon my curiosity, but why?  What do you have against forums?  I
> prefer forums to newsgroups because they're simpler to use, in my
> opinion, and if someone is a jerk they can actually be banned.  The
> thing I like is that I can run a full text search on the forum and get
> results faster than I can download all 14,000 headers to one of the
> groups here.
>
> Be warned, if you attribute the reason to the attitudes of people on
> forums then I'll turn it back at you: I find the same thing at
> newsgroups and usenet. ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Robert

- offline access
- lower bandwidth concerns (after I download stuff I have it "forever")
- lower "visual overhead" (cleaner interface etc)
- threads vs. big long list
- no clicking refresh to see if anything new is posted
- more options on the interface/app

I'll grant that Google does a faster job of searching but can also throw
in all kinds of other junk. My current NG app does just fine in searching
and sorting.

re people's attitudes: that has nothing to do with it. And NNTP can do authentication
and IIRC Walter has more than once turned down requests to switch it on.