Adding Unicode operators to D

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 18:56:46 PDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Steven Schveighoffer
<schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> No thanks.  Please let's only use operators that are on the keys of my
> keyboard. I don't fancy having to type key digraphs or trigraphs to try and
> write code.
> [...]
> Why can't the emacs module solution work that was used for the cheverons?

Actually, the solutions aren't that far apart.  Andrei's solution
displays XXX as YYY, the actual Unicode version you'd still type XXX
just it would actually be replaced by YYY instead of just being
displayed as YYY.

The nice thing about getting such AutoCorrect replacements working
well across a wide range of editors is that it has benefits beyond
just typing unicode characters.  You can have it insert code snippets
when you type [[main]] for example, or some people have said that some
of the existing characters are hard to type on their non-US keyboards.
 You could define replacements for those.

I'm certainly not saying going Unicode is the right thing to do right
now.  More like trying to explore what has to change (if anything)
before it really becomes viable to introduce Unicode.  The topic seems
to keep coming up in a lot of places, so I think eventually it is
inevitable that we will see more and more languages start using it.

---bb