Adding Unicode operators to D

Benji Smith dlanguage at benjismith.net
Fri Oct 24 18:31:15 PDT 2008

Yigal Chripun wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Sergey Gromov <snake.scaly at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A regular Windows console supports UTF-8 to some extent:
>>>
>>> * Change console font to Lucida Console
>>> * issue "chcp 65001"
>>>
>>> You can even get more fonts into there with a bit of hackery.
>> I did that but "type <filewith-utf8.txt>"  still prints garbage.
>>
>> --bb
>
> so don't use type. use notepad instead...
> notepad <filewith-utf8.txt>
> also, MSYS gives you all the linux tools if you really need to be shell
> only.
> last resort: nothing stops you from implementing your own "cat"
> application in D with full Unicode support.
>
> most if not all linux shell tools are separate executables anyway and if
> any still do not support unicode it'll be trivial to roll your own
> replacements for the bad ones.

Oh, and one of my favorite tricks in Windows is to install cygwin
(usually at "C:\cygwin" or whatever their boneheaded installer insists
on using) and then add the bin path ("C:\cygwin\bin") to the windows PATH.

That way, I can continue using the ordinary windows shell (which I
prefer, since it doesn't force me to use the nutty directory names that
the cygwin shell uses), but I can still access all the linux commands.

Calling grep from a windows shell is the bestest!

--benji