Adding Unicode operators to D

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 06:06:11 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM, Yigal Chripun <yigal100 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> So tell me what the alternative is?  I had trouble with running D
>>> tools from a Cygwin shell.  Can't remember if I tried MSYS or not.
>>
>> Any text-based program uses the same Windows console (unless it's a GUI
>> application, and it uses controls to create a text box, etc).  Including
>> cygwin shell.
>>
>> To say it's a legacy technology is like saying Linux is a legacy technology
>> because it's command line based.  It's a false experience promoted by
>> Microsoft to try and spread FUD about OSes that mainly support command line
>> tools, like Linux.  But command line tools are extremely useful and
>> powerful, much easier to develop, and IMO easier to use.  For instance, if
>> you want to find all files that contain a certain text, grep -R text / and
>> you're done.  On windows it's 'click the start menu, select search, wait for
>> the search window to pop up, click on the dog, etc'.  Freaking annoying if
>> you ask me ;)
>>

>>> Anyone using a shell for Windows that works and supports UTF-8 properly?
>>
>> I would guess it should work properly, most everything in windows supports
>> unicode.  Perhaps you have some configuration setting not set properly?  I'd
>> suggest searching msdn.
>>
>> -Steve
>>

> PowerShell is GUI based as well.

After downloading it and giving it a try, I find this claim somewhat
suspect.  What makes you say it's GUI based?  It has the exact same
decorations and goofy menu options as a regular non-GUI Windows
console.  If it were really a GUI, I doubt they would go through the
extra programming effort required to make it look *exactly* like a
console app.

--bb