Book in the works by Alexander Stepanov

Manfred_Nowak svv1999 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 8 15:35:47 PDT 2008

superdan wrote:

>> Sorrily Stepanov gives no answer for the immidiately rising
>> question what the restriction of a finite computational basis
>> implies for computational hard/intractable problems.
[...]
> please explain it to me.

Every natural number has a prime factorization and the set of prime
numbers is infinite. Therefore: if one is restricted to a finite set
of prime numbers for the use in a prime factorization then there
exist natural numbers for which one will not be able to build a prime
factorization, based on the given restricted set.

My prerequisite for the citation above was "If an analogy to numbers
is allowed [...]". Under this prerequisite and the contents of the
paragraph immediately above, one would be allowed to conclude:

| for _some_ given specification of a type `T', the restriction of a
| finite computational basis for `T' might imply, that there exist
| problems based on the specification of `T', that cannot be solved
| efficiently by using that _finite_ basis

If the word "some" above can be generalized to "any", then this would
be a severe strike into the face of the fans of the reusable
components view on programming, to which Stepanov belongs. However,
if one stays with the "some", then one has to give criteria on how
one can decide whether a given specification is efficiently
fulfillable with a finite computational basis.

Those that are considered not fulfillable by a finite basis might be
those, which are considered hard or intractable in the known sense.

I am quite surprised, that hard/intractable problems might show up on
something I considered mostly harmless until reading Stepanov: the
specification of a type, for which a finite computational basis is
known.

A simple solution would be, that my prerequisite "analogy to
numbers" is disallowed, but I do not see any obvious reason for this
disallowance and I would be glad, if Stepanov would provide some
guidance. Therefore:

| Sorrily Stepanov gives no answer ...

-manfred

--
If life is going to exist in this Universe, then the one thing it
cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion. (Douglas Adams)