dmd 2.029 release [OT]

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 14:04:49 PDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:32:13 -0400, Georg Wrede <georg.wrede at iki.fi> wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:09:20 -0400, Georg Wrede <georg.wrede at iki.fi>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> (OT: an excellent example of this It's Done Because We Noticed We
>>> Could stuff is in Firefox. When a picture is a link to another page,
>>> and you want to drag that to the tab area, the entire picture is
>>> dragged with the mouse. Now, how the hell am I supposed to hit the
>>> small tab area when the large picture covers half of my Firefox??
>>>
>>> So now I have to learn to remember to grab bigger pictures near some
>>> edge. And I really can't see *any* valid benefit for having to drag
>>> the picture. I'd rather have it the old way, where the mouse pointer
>>> simply changes shape, so you know you're dragging. Damn, damn...)
>>  On my system, dragging the image drags a translucent copy of the
>> image, so I can still see where my mouse pointer is aimed.  Maybe you
>> don't have enough colors enabled on your screen?
>
> Sure it looks good, and the computer owner can brag to the guy in the
> next cubicle, etc. But there should be some obvious or useful *purpose*
> for dragging entire pictures where a mouse pointer would be clearer,
> cleaner, easier for the user, and use less computer cycles.
>
> I mean, who's such a nutcase that he forgets halfway in the dragging,
> what it is he's dragging?

One thing that does annoy me is if you are doing this over a slow RDP
link, the eye candy isn't worth it.

I was never a huge fan of application themes.  I don't mind a theme for
the whole system (as long as it's simple), but I don't want iTunes to look
different just because it can.  I think it has been discussed before that
most video editors have the slickest GUI, with real-looking knobs and
"led's", but the video editing part of it is buggy as hell.

-Steve