D in the ix magazine about "programming today"

Jeremie Pelletier jeremiep at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 17:04:22 PST 2009

Extrawurst wrote:
> It is always interesting what the technical press writes about our
> beloved D.
>
> Today i read about D in the ix, a german IT magazine on the subject
> "programming today" (see here:
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/iX-Special-Programmieren-heute-ab-sofort-am-Kiosk-875489.html)
>

> Here are some quotes (freely translated by myself):
>
> "And D [..] is not going to become big enough [..] cause there is no big
> company backing it up"
> - well this is quite a controversal statement

D is also relatively new, I'm pretty confident once programs and
libraries written in D begin to get widely used big companies will stand
in line to get on the train.

> "D, the clean alternative to C++"
> - i can not agree more

Idem, not only is it a clean language, its also a practical one; I do a
lot of C++ these days and I often find that I need to use complex
libraries such as boost::bind to emulate something as simple as a delegate.

> "According to the language designers D is inappropriate as a first
> language for beginners"
> - i strongly disagree to that

Well, D, just like any other systems language, it's not always easy for
programmers to begin with when compared to scripting languages such as
php or javascript.

However, with TDPL soon to hit shelves, this will definitely change for
the better.

> "In the near future D won't steal C++ the show but the potential is
> certainly present"
> - feature-wise i think D2.0 already steals C++ the show

I agree, even C++0x won't beat D2.0 in terms of features. But the lack
of C++ bindings in D will slow down it's adoption until the libraries
have D equivalents.