SciD: the humble beginning

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 13 14:09:21 PST 2009

== Quote from Eldar Insafutdinov (e.insafutdinov at gmail.com)'s article
> dsimcha Wrote:
> > Plotting.  I've considered doing this a few times, but I've decided it needs to be
> > put off until D2 is stable and the GUI toolkits for it are reasonably stable.  One
> > layer of instability (D2 itself) is workable, but two layers (D2 and the GUI libs)
> > is not.
> >
> It would be unfair not to mention GtkD which nobody has done in your D2 GUI libs
thread. I think that so far it is the most mature and stable cross-platform D2 GUI
toolkit. It's been a year since it reached version 1.0, so you should probably
consider it. And GTK looks just fine on windows.

Is it fast and stable on D2?  You're right that noone specifically mentioned it, I
just got the vibe that there's no reasonably stable D2 GUI lib yet.  If you
believe GtkD is stable enough to build other D2 libs on top of, that would be great.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought GTK made the tradeoff of being
XML-based and therefore relatively slow but more flexible.  I absolutely 150%
refuse to build a plotting library that chokes and takes a significant amount of
time to redraw complex plots when a window is resized or moved, no matter how good
it looks, how many features it has, or how extensible it is.