D in the ix magazine about "programming today"

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Dec 30 22:13:18 PST 2009

"Don" <nospam at nospam.com> wrote in message
news:hhgho0$2e8o$1 at digitalmars.com...

> It is different elsewhere.
> In Australia, all universities are public, except one private university
> which is named after Australia's most notorious corporate criminal. Really
> bizarre - it's kind of like getting an Aviation degree from Bin Laden
> Flying School.

Heh, crazy :)

> I'm not sure that I would have gone to university if I'd lived in the US,
> and I'm certain my wife could not have -- it seems like you need rich
> parents. Our tertiary education was virtually free.

In the US you can go afford college easily if you're either really rich *or*
if you're in poverty (or if you're a non-caucasian woman). If you're in
poverty you get everything paid for via all the scholarships and grants that
are out there (which is great). You also get pretty much a free ride on
grants and sholarships if you're a woman or a non-caucasian and doubly-so if
you pursue math or CS (not so great if you beleive in the "equality" that
most US citizens *claim* to value, even though most don't *truly* value it
as they wouldn't know true equality if it, ahem...well, you probably know
where I'm going with that). But if you're white or male (especially a white
male) and you're middle-class (especially lower-middle class), then you're
pretty much screwed. I made the mistake of going and it left me US$100,000
in debt. Stupidest thing I ever did by far.

> Australian universities get their money by having astronomical fees for
> overseas (Asian) students. There's a lot of pressure on academic staff to
> get them to graduate, no matter how poorly they perform.

Yea, see, doesn't matter where you go, schooling is an absolute joke.