Descent 0.5.4 released

Jason House jason.james.house at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 06:07:49 PST 2009

Ary Borenszweig Wrote:

> Jason House escribió:
> > Ary Borenszweig wrote:
> >
> >> New features:
> >>   - Compile-time view
> >
> > This is a great feature that I've been looking forward to.
> > When playing around with this, I noticed a few things that seemed odd to me.  They may be normal/expected if I understood the better how the front end/descent works.
> > 1. derr.writefln("foo") is translated as 1("foo")
>
> Hehehe, Jarret is right here!
>
> I've fixed this so that in this case I'll use the original source code
> in the output view.

Jarrett's reply makes me realize the issue. I have version(unittest) import std.cstream;
I thought I told descent to use unittest in its list of versions. I'll double check my setup.

> > 2. Actual template instances are not shown.
>
> What do you mean?
>
> I just tried:
>
> ---
> class Foo(T) {
>
> }
>
> void lala() {
> 	Foo!(int) foo;
> }
> ---
>
> and it was shown like:
>
> ---
> class Foo(T) {
>
> }
>
> void lala() {
> 	Foo foo;
> }
> ---
>
> (should be Foo!(int))
>
> Is that what you mean?

No :(
Templates are designed to do compile-time magic based on their input arguments. Currently, I can't see that magic in the compile-time view. The templates I looked at were still template foo(T) instead of somehow showing the bodies for foo!(int) and foo!(char)

> > 3. I have a template (called factory) that takes a string argument.  The compile time view translates
> >    alias factory!("libego") gameDef;
> > into
> >    alias void gameDef;
>
> Bug. :-)
>
> I've fixed these in a new version, 0.5.4.20090129.
>
> Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks for Descent and the rapid fixed!

Unrelated to the new features, I have a few other observations
1. The auto-complete of parenthesis makes me lazy and I end up leaving off semicolons. Is there any feature to add those too?
2. Auto-complete of curly braces works differently than parenthesis. I usually type the matching symbol anyway. For parenthesis, everything just works, but I keep ending up with too many closing curly braces.

I'm very new to descent, so I still have time to correct my own behavior when editing code.