d usability?

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at iki.fi
Tue Mar 24 11:15:21 PDT 2009

new2d wrote:
> But after trying the latest D1 and D2 compilers, it seems like none of the nice libraries and tools of dsource.og are compilable anymore - that’s a shame.
> Someday you all will have succeeded to have a super language, whose users and potential new users had to give up on it, due to the lack of libraries and tools. Please have more frequent bug fixes to the compilers and keep the libs and tools of dsource up to date.
> When will the tango and phobos merge?

You will hear a lot of explanations about how people won't bother to
update D1 stuff "because D2 is shortly out", or D2 stuff "because it's a
moving target". All of which seem very legitimate to the writers.

 From a new user's point (and why not old ones too, especially those
outside these newsgroups), it makes no difference whether such
explanations are valid or not. The situation itself is bad for D.

What should be done about it? (Instead of explaining and whining.)

Can we at least make those libraries and projects that work with the
current D more prominent, more visible to the casual or new person? Or
something else?