d usability?

new2d new2d at 123.net
Tue Mar 24 12:20:47 PDT 2009

Seen from the outside, D looks like a very fragmented project of very incomplete software. There are 2 libraries whose merging doesn’t happen, even after a big fuss of argumentations and agreements. The agreed on most important bugs are not getting fixed in favor for, - admittedly a nice, port to the apple os.
The users, who are not so much into compiler construction and the like, are left with bits and pieces, which too much to die but not enough to really live.
Looking through the discussions, everybody seems to know what is need to seriously use D in real world projects. For me its libraries, libraries .... (for DB, UI etc.). Right now there is only a meager lucky bag (except for some lonely projects).
I would suggest, that at least the libraries on dsource be kept up to date with the releases. Any new user who wants to try D, might be intrigued by the language, but will be instantly put off by the lack of libraries. For a “hello world” any basic compiler/interpreter will be enough - for sure.
I hope you people take no offense and i do not want offend anyone here. I admire your work and endurance! But please keep in mind, that this project/language/compiler should not be a therapeutic effort for a few people.
In its current state, i don’t think D will make it to any kind real projects.