cv2pdb 0.1 released

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sat May 9 08:28:45 PDT 2009

Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Sat, 09 May 2009 11:27:39 +0300, Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
>> cv2pdb is a converter of DMD CodeView debug information to PDB debug
>> format to make debugging of D applications that were created with the
>> DMD compiler, as seamless as possible in current versions of Visual
>> Studio (i.e Visual Studio 2008 and VCExpress).
>
> Awesome! (Although I believe Visual Studio already has limited support
> for CV debug information...)

Yes, debugging in VS "almost" works for standard DMD debug info, but
with two major drawbacks: you cannot set breakpoints (stepping through
the code works, though) and class members are not shown correctly.
When looking at the details there are some more quirks.

> A question: do you think it's possible to strip the CV debug info from
> the executable while preserving compatibility with the PDB? I ask this
> because this would make it possible to do remote debugging and
> post-mortem (crash dump) analysis with closed-source applications (which
> can't have debug information in the release executables).

That should not be a big problem. The current implementation renames the
DMD debug section. Throwing it out needs some more modifications to the
executable, but not a lot.

Rainer