Taunting

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Fri May 22 07:48:53 PDT 2009

Daniel Keep wrote:

> grauzone wrote:
>> BCS wrote:
>>> Reply to Ary,

>>> The clunk you just heard is my jaw bouncing on the floor <G> NICE!!!!!
>> It would be very nice to have such a debugging feature. Too bad it's
>> hardcoded into a very bug GUI system.
>
> Yes, heaven forbid Ary spends his time adding and improving features
> when he should be building a new editor from the ground up.
>
> In all seriousness, I hate IDEs because they are big, slow, and waste
> vast tracts of prime monitor space.  But I'm willing to put up with that
> for Descent's compile-time view and (hopefully soon) compile-time debugging.
>
> If I could get that in a super fast, light programming editor, I'd use
> that instead.  But I can't.
>
> Although it is annoying when I'm out and about on my little netbook and
> can't use Eclipse.  C'est la vie.

Another problem with Descent is that it's kind of buggy (yes, I know
it). But most of the bugs are because of errors in the semantic analysis
ported from DMD's front end. So, for example, some template
instantiations fail when they shouldn't.

What's good about being able to debug these template instantiations is
that we'll be able to understand why a template instantiation fails when
it shouldn't, that is, there's a bug in Descent, and it'll help us make
it more robust (it'll help me find faster where's the bug).

Thus, this feature will help you debug templates and compile-time
functions, and also make Descent better. :-)