Descent 0.5.5 released

Ary Borenszweig ary at esperanto.org.ar
Fri May 22 10:12:09 PDT 2009

dsimcha wrote:
> == Quote from Ary Borenszweig (ary at esperanto.org.ar)'s article
>> The Descent plugin for Eclipse provides an IDE for writing, launching
>> and debugging code in D.
>> Explanations on how to get it from within Eclipse are here:
>> http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent
>> For this release Robert Fraser made an excelent addition: when compiling
>> programs using an external tool such as dsss, rebuild, dmd, gdc, ldc,
>> gdmd or bud, there are now links to the files in the console output for
>> warnings and errors. I think this one was pretty requested. So say
>> thanks to him! :-)
>> (here's a screenshot in case no one understood my poor English:
>> http://downloads.dsource.org/projects/descent/problems.jpg :-P)
>> This release has also some enhancements/bug-fixes:
>>   - #168: Don't expand template arguments
>>   - #169: Don't expand default arguments
>>   - #82: switch/case auto-indent (not formatter)
>>   - "Run as D application" should appear most of the time in correct
>> places, as requested in the forums.
>> Any suggestion, critic or bug report is welcome. You can use:
>> - the forums: http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=107
>> - trac: http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent/report?action=new
>> - irc: at freenode, #d.descent
>> Enjoy!
>
> This looks like it's coming along very nicely!  Question, though, how well is D2
> stuff supposed to work right now, including automating builds with Rebuild?  I
> tried (admittedly not very hard) to set up Descent and Rebuild because I'm sick of
> using CodeBlocks, which functions mostly as just a text editor for D.  I ran into
> various little bumps along the way.  If D2 is supposed to work reasonably well
> now, I'll try harder, RTFM, and post more detailed questions if I still have any.
>  If D2 support is not really usable yet, then I'd just rather wait until it is.

D2 is not suppoted. It was supported some time ago (at least at the
parsing level), but now D2 has changed. I'll change that in the wiki.

I don't know when it'll be supported, because there's a lot of porting
to do, and the last ported version was something like 2.003... and no
one is taking care of that porting. I prefer making compile-time
debugging first, as it will also help me later catch bugs in the port of D2.