Code Poet, an IDE for D

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Nov 12 10:54:11 PST 2009

Jeremie Pelletier wrote:
> watching wrote:
>> most programmer want use the language and a lot libraries that come
>> with it. instead of gui, db etc. you guys discuss until all
>> prospective users are gone off to use something that lets them do the job
>>
>> maybe it is time to put a large effort into libraries by all the
>> bright people that are arroung d.
>
> The IDE I'm developing is exactly for that purpose, to bring more people
> to D and to make writing D code more convenient.

Exactly, and I'm most pleased to see you and others stepping up to fill
in the gaps.

> The D language doesn't need to come with tons of libraries out of the
> box, its a systems language after all; C++ only comes with the STL and C
> with the stdlib, you need platform headers and third party libraries to
> do something more than a simple console program.

While that's true that C and C++ became successful with minimal
libraries, I think the bar is much higher these days. Looking at the go
library, there's a lot in there we could use in the D library.

http://golang.org/pkg/

The library is licensed under the
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
meaning we can adapt it to D.

> In any ways, I believe its a good thing to use multiple languages to
> better understand the differences between them, the end result doesn't
> change. I could've used java, C#, python or even mozilla's XUL with
> javascript and the IDE would've been the same.

I disagree, as then the IDE would be dependent on those large
ecosystems. One nice thing about native apps is they stand alone.

One thing I do suggest is writing it in a "D-ish" style so that it will
be easier to translate to D at some point.