Code Poet with DWT ?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 16:14:52 PST 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Jeremie Pelletier <jeremiep at gmail.com> wrote:
> John wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jeremie, just curious, have you measured the effort to use DWT
>> instead of wxWidgets for Code Poet ?
>
> More or less, I wasn't aware of any DWT for D2 at the time and I'd rather
> use C++ with boost than D1, just a matter of personal preference (D2 > C++
> w/ boost > D1 > C++ w/o boost.)
>
> A GUI application is much easier to develop with an IDE with debugging
> capabilities like VisualStudio. And using precompiled headers drops the
> compile times close to what dmd would do.
>
> The goal of the IDE is not to show off what can be done with D, but to make
> it possible.

How about QtD?  That supposedly works with D2.  Haven't had a chance
to confirm it myself, though.

But even if you're using C++ -- now that Qt is LGPL I don't see why
anyone would choose wxWidgets, unless they really have to because of
wx's more liberal licensing.  But LGPL is good enough for most things.
 I would think it should certainly be good enough for an IDE that
itself will be GPL.

--bb