DMDScript now on D2

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 18:34:22 PST 2010

Brian Hay wrote:
> It would be so cool (and a huge showcase for the D Programming Language)
>if DMDScript was in that performance race and beating the big guns.

It kicked the living crap out of the competition up to not too long ago! It beat
out Firefox 2 by well about 50x when I checked it, and IE7 by IIRC 20x.

What's really impressive is dmdscript was several years old at
that point - as in it only got a few minor bugfixes in those years,
and the main design was even older. It took the big guys some
five years or more to catch up to lone Walter.

It was about 1/2 the speed of Firefox 3 when I checked it last. That
gap has probably widened quite a bit in the last year. A quick check using the
sieve.ds shows Firefox 3 is currently about 16x faster than dmdscript.

The gap is definitely opening up in the other direction now, but
still, it took them long enough!

Could dmdscript take the lead back? Probably, though I suspect it'd
be quite a lot of work. But I don't really know. dmdscript is a kind of compiler,
so maybe not. I'm just not qualified.