Tango 0.99.9 Kai released

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 07:22:36 PST 2010

On 12/02/2010 22:20, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Yigal Chripun"<yigal100 at gmail.com>  wrote in message
> news:hl3j9e$nlm$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> On 12/02/2010 11:10, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>
>> My 4 y/o laptop that I already upgraded runs faster with Win7 compared to
>> XP tablet edition it had before.
>>

> Really? You know, I've heard a *lot* about Win7 being better than Vista,
> with one of those improvements being speed, but this is the first I've seen
> *any* direct comparison of Win7 to XP. And I have to say I'm very surprised
> to hear that it runs faster...Although...What kind of hardware do you have
> in that laptop? Probably 64-bit multi-core, I'm guessing, right? I wouldn't
> be totally surprised if something like that does runs faster on Win7, but
> with hardware like that it still would have been super-fast anyway - like
> getting an extra 10 horsepower out of a porche (And if all the car
> dealerships stop selling everything except porches...well, they'd still be
> porches, period). And I think I heard somewhere that Win7 required a minimum
> of 4GB ram (or was that just Vista?). If so, anythng less than that would
> certainly make Win7 run vastly slower than XP, if even at all.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
I have a ThinkPad x41-tablet (almost 4 years old) which came with win XP
tablet edition which I hated to reboot since it took 10 minutes or so. I
kept putting it in hibernate instead. I wouldn't even consider putting
Vista on it cause it won't boot at all with that.

Since I installed a fresh Win7 copy on it it runs much better and boots
almost immediately. I also read online similar reports by other owners
of the X41-tablet.

you can find the spec online but in short it's a pentium-m with a 1.5gb
ram (I added 1gb long time ago to make the XP work better). 32bit, no
multi-core.

I don't like MS software in general (they do make wicked hardware though
- best keyboards and mice) but this time they managed to do a decent
job. Of course Ubuntu will run 5 times faster on similar hardware with
only 256mb ram. Unfortunately that's not really the best option for a
tablet PC.