D web site facelift

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Jul 2 22:34:12 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:i0m1qa$2vad$1 at digitalmars.com...
> David Gileadi was kind enough to spend some time redesigning the look of
> the D web site. A preview of it is up on d-programming-language.org. This
> isn't about the content, just the look/style/feel.
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> Please don't put links to anything other than the front page yet, as the
> organization may change.

Oooohh, pretty :)

A few notes:

Text size is the absolute biggest it can get without it being
"too-fucking-big". Personally, I'd even bring it down one notch, but as-is
is acceptable. *Definitely* do *NOT* go any bigger, though (this isn't
Fisher-Price Publishing).

The red glow is very nice, but I agree with the others that it decreases the
contrast too much and makes it hard to read or look at. In fact, even
without the red glow, the menu doesn't have enough contrast and it hurts my
eyes.

The text-color in the search box needs to be set to black, not
system-default. It's nearly-invisible for me on all the browsers I tried:
IE7, FF2 and Iron (it's like Chrome, except with changes that make me allow
it to actually touch my computer).

BIG PROBLEM: In IE, the body-text is nearly invisible. (Pet peeve: When will
people learn that *EVERY* time you set a background color, you *MUST ALSO*
set a foreground color and vice-versa??? I see that ignored absolutely all
the time. This should be basic, basic Design-101 stuff...) See screenshot:
http://www.semitwist.com/download/newDSiteIE.png

I didn't see any of the glitchiness or google-translate stuff that other
people saw (on IE7, FF2, or Iron). Although, from the screenshot someone
else posted of the translate-bar, I'm glad it's not showing up for me. (I
really wish people would stop loading up their pages with Google's crap.)