D web site facelift

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jul 7 21:50:43 PDT 2010

"Adam Ruppe" <destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.297.1278538315.24349.digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com...
> On 7/7/10, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>> (I'm not sure that JS by
>> itself can maintain any state between pages. If it can, that's news to
>> me.
>
> Javascript can set and retreive its own cookies. My homepage uses a
> javascript gimmick with cookies to change its whole stylesheet.
> http://arsdnet.net/ bottom of the left menu, needs javascript. Note
> that the "classic" link removes the sidebar, so probably best not to
> click it.
>
> Note that it sets a cookie to remember your preference as you move
> around the site, which is all static html.

Interesting, I was wondering about that. I assume that still works if the
page is served via "file:///" instead of "http://"?

> IMO, the ideal way for users to choose their own font is to not bother
> with any special code at all. People who want different fonts can just
> change their browser settings. If your code says "monospace" and a
> user says "that font sucks", you're complete in the right (if you ask
> me) to reply "fix your browser".

Can't say I disagree. (Although, if the site tries to use a size or style
that the user's chosen monospace font happens to not handle well, then the
situation's a little more complex...man, the web sucks...)