dflplot 0.01

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 10 08:42:59 PDT 2010

== Quote from Philippe Sigaud (philippe.sigaud at gmail.com)'s article
> --0016e6d975ba9ee1ba048b09a55f
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 15:46, dsimcha <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > == Quote from Philippe Sigaud (philippe.sigaud at gmail.com)'s article
> > > Out of curiosity, as I don't know DFL, why do you draw everything as text
> > in
> > > a scatterplot instead of using small rectangles or lines?
> >
> > This is to give customizability as to what the points look like.
> >
> Maybe you can encapsulate the drawing in a small function that would draw a
> specific shape and let the user discriminate with an enum?
> enum PointShape {circle, square, cross, ...}
> Is it possible to cache a small drawing in DFL, to reuse it at will?

This is perfectly feasible, technically speaking.  I'm just not sure what it would
buy practically speaking.  I kind of like the way x's and o's look.  Maybe it
would be faster for scatter plots with huge amounts of points, though.  I don't know.

> > > This made me laugh:
> > > /**Hack around ddoc issues.)*/
> > > void dummy() {}
> > > Do you have a missing ')' parenthesis somewhere?
> >
> > Probably.  I was getting weird DDoc behavior until I added this, but I
> > can't find
> > the missing ) so I just hacked around it.
> Try line 1022 and lines 1988-1990.
> For one big file, this irked me so much that I almost wrote a small script
> that would find docs comments and count parenthesis and brackets in them.
> But I found the culprit before that :)

Thanks.  Fixed.

> As for bitmaps, I have a small module that load 24 bit RGB .bmp as
> ubyte[3][][] to manipulate them and write an ubyte[3][][] on disk, but it's
> quite brittle. You indeed need a generic way to save a form to disk as an
> image.

I really want saving to work, but I have no idea what I'm doing Win32 API-wise.
I'd say lack of saving support is by far the biggest outstanding issue with
DFLPlot.  I'd appreciate any help in this regard.