dflplot 0.01

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 07:16:17 PDT 2010

== Quote from Philippe Sigaud (philippe.sigaud at gmail.com)'s article

http://cis.jhu.edu/~dsimcha/dflplot.png<http://cis.jhu.edu/%7Edsimcha/dflplot.png>

> > Wow, I'd say that's looking pretty polished already. :)  I think it's
> > great that you've done this, it brings D another step closer to being a
> > versatile numerics language.  I'm looking forward to the day this becomes
> > available for *NIX too.
> >
> > -Lars
> >
> What's the last plot? Some kind of density plot, maybe a heat map?
> Philippe

Yes, that was just checked in yesterday.  in dflplot it's called a HeatScatter,
and it's a subclass of HeatMap.  It's also known as a 2-d histogram.  It's useful
if you want to visualize a joint distribution between two variables, but you have
a large sample size, so using a scatter plot would produce an overwhelming number
of points.

Each cell is either dark (high probability) or light(low probability).  The "hot"
and "cold" color are customizable.  In this case each sample is distributed
Normal(1, 1) on the y-axis and Normal(-2, 1) + x_i on the x-axis.