Plot2Kill 0.02

Rory Mcguire rjmcguire at gm_no_ail.com
Thu Jul 22 00:21:46 PDT 2010

dsimcha wrote:

> == Quote from BLS (windevguy at hotmail.de)'s article
>> >
>> > Sorry for my ignorance,
>> > What are heat maps good for ?
>> >
>> > Since I am more biz software guy, here my question.
>> >
>> > Let's say I have this relation
>> >  >A Project can have several Cost Centers.
>> >  >A Cost Center can have several cost items.
>> >
>> > I our sample . Project -P- has say, 10 cost centers.
>> > Cost Center no 1 takes already 60 percent.
>> > The other cost centers (2-10) just take between 10 (blue) and 20
>> > (green) percent.
>> >
>> > -- So I want to color cost center no 1 related items in red.. . and the
>> > max percentage item in cost center no 2 dark red.
>> > CC No 1 = {5,20,20,15}
>> >
>> > Is this what a heat map is made for ?
>> >
>> > and sorry , best example I am able to give atm..
>> > bjoern
>> My guess was okay, Heat maps are also made for this use case. so no need
>> to answer.
>> Since Tree maps are not that different from Heat maps, do you have any
>> plans to implement them too ?
>
> I didn't have any plans to implement them, as I didn't know about them
> until I
> looked them up on Wikipedia just now.  I'll consider implementing them,
> but I'm not sure if it will happen soon.
>
>> Next, Do you have any ideas about zooming ? (zooming a plotting region) ?
>
> This can already be done programmatically (see Figure.xlim() and
> Figure.ylim()),
> but is not exposed yet via the default plot window GUI.  This will be
> exposed when
> I decide how I want to expose it.  The most obvious answer is dragging,
> but the question then becomes, how do you zoom back out?

I don't think that you should hard code something like user interaction,
just provide the methods for interaction such as:
zoom on reqion(x,y,w,h), user input could be dragging a rectangle
zoom to(here%), user input could be scrolling, ctrl scrolling or a input box
move view(x,y), user input could be scrolling, or holding MMB

-Rory