Plot2Kill 0.02

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 22 05:29:48 PDT 2010

== Quote from Rory Mcguire (rjmcguire at gm_no_ail.com)'s article
> dsimcha wrote:
> > == Quote from BLS (windevguy at hotmail.de)'s article

> >> My guess was okay, Heat maps are also made for this use case. so no need
> >> to answer.
> >> Since Tree maps are not that different from Heat maps, do you have any
> >> plans to implement them too ?
> >
> > I didn't have any plans to implement them, as I didn't know about them
> > until I
> > looked them up on Wikipedia just now.  I'll consider implementing them,
> > but I'm not sure if it will happen soon.
> >
> >> Next, Do you have any ideas about zooming ? (zooming a plotting region) ?
> >
> > This can already be done programmatically (see Figure.xlim() and
> > Figure.ylim()),
> > but is not exposed yet via the default plot window GUI.  This will be
> > exposed when
> > I decide how I want to expose it.  The most obvious answer is dragging,
> > but the question then becomes, how do you zoom back out?
> I don't think that you should hard code something like user interaction,
> just provide the methods for interaction such as:
> zoom on reqion(x,y,w,h), user input could be dragging a rectangle
> zoom to(here%), user input could be scrolling, ctrl scrolling or a input box
> move view(x,y), user input could be scrolling, or holding MMB
> -Rory

The point isn't to hardcode this directly into the Figure object.  What you
suggest can already be done by calling xLim() and yLim() and then redrawing.
However, Plot2Kill has the concept of a default plot window, which is displayed by
showAsMain() and returned by getDefaultWindow().  The point of this is so that if
someone wants to put up a quick plot, they don't need to set up a window manually.
 At the default plot window level, I don't see either how to avoid hard-coding
this or why hard-coding it would be bad.