new layout on wiki4d

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 4 10:01:20 PDT 2010

Adam Ruppe wrote:
> On 5/31/10, "Jérôme M. Berger" <jeberger at free.fr> wrote:
>> 	The problem is that px is not even theoretically reliable: it
>> depends on the screen you are viewing the page on.
>
> That's true, it definitely changes across different screens.
>
> I'm probably biased by the fact that the majority of the sites I've
> been doing are very picture and video heavy - the pixel measurements
> are always the right size relative to the images, which are also sized
> in pixels.

You mean if you're using inline images to present such things as
mathematical expressions?  I'm never sure what's the best thing to do
about this either.

>> Pt is an absolute measure
>> (there are exactly 72 points in an inch)
>
> Huh, I read somewhere that it wasn't defined on screen, but only for
> printers. I guess I was wrong - the measuring tape agrees with you.
> Though, it still comes out different on my Linux box than it does on
> the designer's Mac, leading to bug reports whenever I try it.  I
> really don't know why, but I've gotta deal with it somehow.
<snip>

This is because an inch in the context of screen measurements doesn't
correspond to an actual physical inch.  Rather, there is a setting
somewhere in the OS that determines how many pixel side lengths
constitute a logical inch (or centimetre or whatever).  On Windows, the
factory default is 96dpi.  Other OSs might have different defaults.  In
any case, it isn't right to work against this setting.

Stewart.