new layout on wiki4d

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Fri Jun 4 11:27:38 PDT 2010

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> Adam Ruppe wrote:
>> On 5/31/10, "Jérôme M. Berger" <jeberger at free.fr> wrote:
>>> Pt is an absolute measure
>>> (there are exactly 72 points in an inch)
>>
>> Huh, I read somewhere that it wasn't defined on screen, but only for
>> printers. I guess I was wrong - the measuring tape agrees with you.
>> Though, it still comes out different on my Linux box than it does on
>> the designer's Mac, leading to bug reports whenever I try it.  I
>> really don't know why, but I've gotta deal with it somehow.
> <snip>
>
> This is because an inch in the context of screen measurements doesn't
> correspond to an actual physical inch.  Rather, there is a setting
> somewhere in the OS that determines how many pixel side lengths
> constitute a logical inch (or centimetre or whatever).  On Windows, the
> factory default is 96dpi.  Other OSs might have different defaults.  In
> any case, it isn't right to work against this setting.

	Yes and no. Most modern monitors include a small ROM that can be
read by the OS to get the monitor characteristics, including
definition (width and height in pixels) and dimensions (width and
height in centimeters) from which the resolution (dpi) can easily be
computed. I know Linux does it and I believe recent versions of
Windows (i.e at least from XP) do too.

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr