d support in codeblocks

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Wed Mar 31 10:54:28 PDT 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:05:55 -0300, Matthias Pleh <matthias.pleh at gmx.at>
wrote:

>> First, the normal code::block selector uses smart colors which are based
>> upon the underlying text color, etc. Essentially, it only changes the
>> background color (like many other editors) and doesn't change the
>> foreground color. This makes selection easier to read and extend.
> This are only colorsettings and can be overritten be the user

No they're not just color settings. "Default" isn't a color.

> It
>> also doesn't play havoc with code::blocks' thread search feature.
> I don't know what you mean

Thread search highlights the selected word. This highlighting and the
selection highlighting when the colors are manually specified don't
compose well.

>> Second, languages don't have color conventions, IDEs do. Code::blocks is
>> different from Visual Studio which is different from Scintilla ad
>> nauseam.
> Just open a Smalltalk file in codeblocks, the colorscheme is completly
> different

You miss the point. If I opened a smalltalk file in ScitTE it would be
different again.

>> My recommendation was simply to follow code::blocks' style and
>> XML tags where possible because a) all the existing code::blocks users
>> are comfortable with this or have already overwritten those tags we
>> don't like with our own preferences. And b) following the existing style
>> may smooth the entire process of getting the patch accepted into the
>> mainline trunk.
> What is codeblocks-style? Smalltalk,C++,Ruby,ASM ... ??
> They all have different colorschemes!

I don't know. You might want to ask them. I just wanted to recommend
making upgrading smooth for existing users when possible.

>> Third, out of curiosity, the background color for DMD code samples seem
>> to be gray. Where did you find/why did you choose beige?
> OK, the backgroundcolor was badly choosen.
>
>> Forth, for the lexer, I have a vague memory up patches/updates to
>> Scintilla being posted a long time ago. You might want to look into
>> SciTE4d and SEATD.
> There is already a d-lexer in the scintilla and codeblocks project
> This is what I use!

And you're looking to improve it. Other people have worked on improving
it. I was hoping to reduce re-inventing the wheel.

>> Win32/DMD 2 though I don't remember seeing separate D1 and D2 entries in
>> the compiler selection menu.
> I tested with Wn32/DMD2 and it works just fine.
> There are 3 different compiler for D
> - Digital Mars D1 compiler
> - Digital Mars D2 compiler
> - GDC D Compiler
>
> You should see all 3 compiler or your compilation failed.
> Please follow this wiki page:
> -
> http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Windows

I did. It might have something todo with new installs vs existing
installs. i.e. my XML files are overwriting your new behavior. But this
would happen to anyone who upgrades.