Build a D project is now easy

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Nov 23 05:54:17 PST 2010

"Leandro Lucarella" <luca at llucax.com.ar> wrote in message
news:20101123050406.GJ8411 at llucax.com.ar...
> Nick Sabalausky, el 22 de noviembre a las 12:54 me escribiste:
>> "Manfred_Nowak" <svv1999 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9E38B3AFCD756svv1999hotmailcom at 65.204.18.192...

>> > why. I ask because I just realized, that llvm still uses it.
>> >

>> Make's in the same boat as C++: Highly significant in the past, and still
>> used because of intertia, but garbage by modern standards.
>
> !?
>
> Generally people that say that is people that don't understand Make.

See, that's a big part of the issue I have with make. I've spent an enormus
amout of time with it and with various documentation for it (including
O'Rielly books), and trying to use it still feels like complete voodoo. I
*don't* understand make despite my many attempts. That's the problem. Every
non-make-based alternative that I've tried, I've understood just fine.

> Make is not a build system, make is a unix tool, it does one thing and
> it do it well, and that thing is rebuilding something based on
> dependencies. Usually Make is a tool to use as a building block when you
> need something more complex.
>
> Make is a great tool, just don't ask it to do things it doesn't suppose
> to do.

In other words, it's great as long as you have limited requirements or like
to toss a pile of different programs, likely each with their own DSL, at a
single damn task (project building)...and if you actually understand it.