QtD is suspended

Georg Wrede Georg.Wrede at iki.fi
Thu Sep 16 16:48:09 PDT 2010

On 09/17/2010 01:01 AM, Lutger wrote:
> Max Samukha wrote:
>
>> After a good amount of hesitation, we have decided to put the QtD
>> project on hold. QtD has a potential to become a complete and effective
>> development platform for D but it is not going to happen soon (unless
>> people with harder hearts take it over). We have spent half of the day
>> hunting yet another dmd bug-o-feature and that is the last straw.
>>
>> We offer our apologies to people who put their hope upon the project.
>> Please come back in a year or two when the language has a stable
>> compiler with the features fully specified, implemented and debugged.
>
> This is a loss, it must be frustrating for you spending so much time on it.
> Thank you anyway for the effort, it was quite exciting to see QtD almost come to
> be! I hope it will be continued some day.

Having some experience in this, I really don't think other people can
even begin to think what Max feels at this point.

I could go on-and-on about this, but those who've never invested enough
to break their back and then simply be met by folks who !believe! they
have any way of understanding, I really think they should stay shut up.

I left the language because of a personal quarrel with Andrei. And that
was long after vigorously defending him in the Big Battle. But that
should not mean I have any second thoughts about what should be done, or
whether we can pull it off.

The language as such, has a niche way bigger than it'd seem, in spite of
reading this NG or the random outside article (found with Google). Man,
I'd love to become an evangelist for D, and I really have a few ideas
(that presumably, most of our long-time contributors recognize), that
would help D in carving its own footprint on the map.

The place and position are now very much clearer to me, than they were
six months ago. This would mean establishing a place that doesn't
necessarily challenge ASM, C, C++, or Python or Java. And, within this
particular place, none of them can possibly challenge D. (!!)