QtD is suspended

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Sep 16 17:46:49 PDT 2010

On 9/16/10 18:48 CDT, Georg Wrede wrote:
> On 09/17/2010 01:01 AM, Lutger wrote:
>> Max Samukha wrote:
>>
>>> After a good amount of hesitation, we have decided to put the QtD
>>> project on hold. QtD has a potential to become a complete and effective
>>> development platform for D but it is not going to happen soon (unless
>>> people with harder hearts take it over). We have spent half of the day
>>> hunting yet another dmd bug-o-feature and that is the last straw.
>>>
>>> We offer our apologies to people who put their hope upon the project.
>>> Please come back in a year or two when the language has a stable
>>> compiler with the features fully specified, implemented and debugged.
>>
>> This is a loss, it must be frustrating for you spending so much time
>> on it.
>> Thank you anyway for the effort, it was quite exciting to see QtD
>> almost come to
>> be! I hope it will be continued some day.
>
> Having some experience in this, I really don't think other people can
> even begin to think what Max feels at this point.
>
> I could go on-and-on about this, but those who've never invested enough
> to break their back and then simply be met by folks who !believe! they
> have any way of understanding, I really think they should stay shut up.

Well I've used D for my thesis work since 2007, and indeed bugs can be
very frustrating particularly when you're pressured to achieve something
else than just finding your way around issues.

> I left the language because of a personal quarrel with Andrei.

I do recall you were annoyed at some point but I failed to perceive the
extent. If there's anything I can do at this point to make things
straight, please let me know.

> And that
> was long after vigorously defending him in the Big Battle. But that
> should not mean I have any second thoughts about what should be done, or
> whether we can pull it off.
>
> The language as such, has a niche way bigger than it'd seem, in spite of
> reading this NG or the random outside article (found with Google). Man,
> I'd love to become an evangelist for D, and I really have a few ideas
> (that presumably, most of our long-time contributors recognize), that
> would help D in carving its own footprint on the map.
>
> The place and position are now very much clearer to me, than they were
> six months ago. This would mean establishing a place that doesn't
> necessarily challenge ASM, C, C++, or Python or Java. And, within this
> particular place, none of them can possibly challenge D. (!!)

I'm sure we all here would be interested to hear more of your ideas.

Thanks,

Andrei