New homepage design of d-p-l.org is now live. <eom>

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 05:33:03 PST 2011

> On 12/12/11 7:46 PM, Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> On 06/12/2011 05:44, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> http://d-p-l.org
>>>
>>> Andrei
>>
>> Why does it have an HTML 4.01 doctype but then go on to use XHTML syntax???
>>
>> Stewart.
>
> I wouldn't know. What needs to be done?

Are you saying someone else put that doctype there behind your back?  Or that you found it
on a lot of webpages and just copied it without any clue of what it means?

Since what you've obviously learned is a mishmash of old-fashioned HTML, modern HTML and
XHTML, the first step would be to learn the differences between them.  This will get you
started:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_xhtml.asp

My preference nowadays is to use XHTML Strict

though I may still use other doctypes while maintaining sites that have been around for a
long time, like XHTML Transitional

The main difference between Strict and Transitional is that Transitional includes legacy
presentational elements and attributes whereas Strict doesn't.  The proper way to do
things nowadays is to write the content and structure in (X)HTML and use CSS for the
presentation.

But whatever I try to validate it as, there are errors.

A good plan would be to change it to XHTML 1.0 Transitional and fix the handful of
validation errors that still show up.  I can help you to do this.  Once you've got your
head around these, you could consider migrating to XHTML 1.0 Strict.

Stewart.