New homepage design of d-p-l.org is now live. <eom>

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Dec 16 10:26:26 PST 2011

"Adam D. Ruppe" < destructionator at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:virlzxfnfkylbbccepoz at dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...
> On Friday, 16 December 2011 at 13:33:06 UTC, Stewart Gordon wrote:
>> But whatever I try to validate it as, there are errors.
>
> Does validation make any positive difference at all?
>
> I used to do it, but it prohibits things that are useful
> and work fine in practice* without offering much, if anything,
> in return.
>
> I've found that checking for well-formedness - that your tags
> are closed, attributes quoted, and entities encoded - is worth
> it, but the structure imposed by the doctype offers almost no
> help.
>
> * An example being custom attributes. The html5 validator will
> allow some of them, but the other ones won't.

I've come to figure the same thing. I like to keep things as compliant as I
can within reason, but I've been wondering more and more how strict it's
really worthwhile to be.

For example, I have an articles section on my site that (currently) uses
TangoCMS. I neither know nor care what doctype TangoCMS is sending out (and
I have even less interest in mucking with it's internals to change it), and
yet when I want to bold or italicize something in a post, I've started going
back to <b> and <i>. Why?

A. They're not as insanely verbose as <span style="font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic"> (And they're much, MUCH easier to remember: Is it
"text" or "font"? Is it "-bold", "-weight", "-italic", "-style", "-slant",
"-skew" or some nonstandard made-up term like "text?/font?-decoration:
line-through"? Who has *ever* called that anything but strikeout?). Or even
grab and mess with the CSS files).

B. It works. On everything.

C. Let's face it, it's always going to work.

D. I don't give a rat's ass about the purity of HTML "content" vs style.
(X)HTML *is* presentation if you ask me: the content is in the model, and
that's stored in a DB, not XML files. And it all renders the same anyway.
And seriously, who's going to be applying a custom stylesheet to my pages?
(and if they do, they can just change the defined styles for b{} and i{}).

E. The W3C can kiss my ass ;)