New homepage design of d-p-l.org is now live. <eom>

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 17 04:35:57 PST 2011

On 17/12/2011 06:35, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
<snip>
> or<i>italicized</i>, then handling it in any roundabout way like that is
> just<i>ridiculous</i>  (and "self-documenting" would be completely
> inapplicable).

You miss the point - why would you need to bold or italicise "ordinary text"?  If the
point is to illustrate what bold looks like, or what italics look like, _then_ it might
make sense to use presentational markup....

> In such a situation, replacing hardcoded bold or italic with some vague
> concept of "emphasis" (old-school example: the<em>  tag)

<em> isn't really an old-school example.  It's the proper semantic markup for emphasis.

> or
> "extra-emphasis", etc, is not only a useless abstraction merely for the sake
> is able to look at the final result and know whether the result

It seems to me that the essence of what you're saying is that the choice of <em> and
<strong> is too coarse-grained for your purposes.  I'm not sure how best to deal with this
either.  Moreover, what markup are you going to use so that it looks/sounds/feels right in
non-graphical browsers?

> Additionally, how does the stylist know if a given styling is going to cause
> too much visual noise? Or be too visually monotone? They<i>can't</i>,
> because it's<i>completely</i>  dependent on the text that the
> article and just right for another. Only the text's author can know what's
> appropriate, not the stylesheet.

If the author is overusing emphasis, manually setting font weights and stuff to compensate
seems to me to be trying to fix the wrong problem.

Stewart.