D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos,etc.) has moved to github

Robert Clipsham robert at octarineparrot.com
Tue Jan 25 14:28:37 PST 2011

On 25/01/11 21:08, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Ahh, that's not remotely what I was hoping it was. Everything is all
> relative to the current version which means that *every* time you commit,
> *every* changeset gets completely renamed (HEAD@{5} becomes HEAD@{6}, etc),
> and there doesn't appear to be any syntax to refer to the next changeset
> (only the previous), which makes it barely useful at all. And not only that,
> but they *dissapear* after a certain amount of time.
>
> Browsing through http://hginit.com/index.html, it looks like with Hg,
> everything works just as well as with SVN, the only difference being that
> you need to remember to specify which repository you're talking about
> whenever you give a number.
>
> Obviously I'm not saying "DMD should have gone Hg", I'm just kinda shocked
> by how horrid Git's approach is for referring to changesets. (Personally,
> that alone would be enough to get me to use Hg instead of Git for my own
> projects. Heck, I've become pretty much sold on the idea of DVCS, but
> because of this I think I'd actually sooner use SVN for a new project than
> Git.)

This is the primary reason I use hg over git (that and I find it far
easier to use, but that's debatable, I know loads of people that find
git easier to use - guess it depends on your mindset).

For all the nay-sayers to numbers in revisions - unless you're working
on huge projects with lots of developers, for the most part all the devs
will have the same revision numbers. Sure, it's completely flawed, but
even when you get to the stage where nice base-10 numbers aren't
feasible due to all the developers having different local repositories
it's still useful. In hg you'll see something like '70:5abed7016f34' -
you get a rough idea where it is automatically from the number, and can
look up the exact revision if you need to. It's also great for
technically inclined beta testers - their revision numbers will be in
sync with the repository as it's highly unlikely they'll have their own
changes.

As an aside, I applaud the move to git, much needed! I may be advocating
hg here, but I'm no purist, I'm perfectly happy to jump camp depending
on what the developers are using... And git is a huge improvement on SVN :D

--
Robert
http://octarineparrot.com/