D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Jan 25 15:34:12 PST 2011

"Lutger Blijdestijn" <lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:ihnkgk$g8d$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:

>>> You can't expect other people to piece together how the
>>> revision number has come to be, that is extremely brittle.
>>>

>> They don't need to piece it together because you can just say...
>>
>> ...which repository you're talking about.
>> ...which repository you're talking about.
>> ...which repository you're talking about.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> ...which repository you're talking about.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>
> ok ok ok ok ok I get it. I spend some quality time with google and have
> found this:
>
> $ git describe --tags
>
> phobos-2.046-664-g938e1cc
>

> So phobos is at the 664th commit since 2.046
>

> http://gitfu.wordpress.com/2008/05/25/git-describe-great-another-way-to-
> refer-to-commits/

Ahh, now *that's* nice. All it needs now (and maybe it already has it) is to
allow something like "detailedtag{local:phobos-2.046-664}" in place of
hashes or HEAD@{7} and have it just figure out and use the hash by itself.