D Programming Language source (dmd, phobos, etc.) has moved to github

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jan 26 13:54:04 PST 2011

"Vladimir Panteleev" <vladimir at thecybershadow.net> wrote in message
news:op.vpxphnlmtuzx1w at cybershadow.mshome.net...
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:46:44 +0200, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
>
>> Are you deliberately missing that point?
>
> I think everyone's just annoyed how you're fiercely defending an idea that
> has a single advantage (terseness - I consider hashes unique in practice),
> but a whole slew of disadvantages,

Terseness is not at all the only advantage. As I've said before, you can
reason about them, compare them, and get a general idea of "where" they are
in the history. I don't think merging or "changing the past" conflict with
that. And I'm really not seeing any non-trivial disadvantages.

> and then criticizing Git & co. for  being "horrid" because they don't use
> your idea.

What? Are you actually trying to claim that defending/promoting one's own
idea when another idea exists is a *bad* thing? Seriously?

If we're going to go that absurd route, I can just make up the claim people
are ganging up on me for having an idea that just happens to be different
from Git's world-view. If Git does something one way then that *must* be the
best way, right? Anything else is obviously just heresy, right? Bring on the
stakes and torches, we're going to Salem!!